September 22, 2020

Release & Review: Birthright


After the unexpected death of the woman who raised her, Cherice Bay arrives in Cascade Falls to find answers to her own parentage. Inexplicable roadblocks arise at every turn, and her search for information provides more questions than answers. When she meets the charismatic and influential Nataniele Orso, he seems eager to help, and she’s clearly falling for him in the process.


For Nate, tradition dictates his motives, and he knows Cherry will make the perfect addition to the family. She’s hot, naïve, and clearly into him. He just needs to play the perfect boyfriend while hiding his illegal businesses and his real intent. As long as his father stops getting in the way, he’s sure to get a ring on her finger soon.


As they unravel an increasingly complex mystery, neither is prepared for what is revealed.






4 Hearts

It's been awhile since I have read this author.  This one caught me at the synopsis.  A bit of Mafia, a bit of suspense and a whole lot of mystery.  I admit, it took me a bit to figure out the story. At one point, I wasn't sure if I should keep going.  But by about 35% in, everything started to click. 

This story is about Cherry and Nate. Cherry is looking for the clues about who her family may be.  Nate has just taken over as head of his Family business.  Their stories seem to be chance until all the twisty turny parts are revealed.  I  know this author is never going to give it to us straight. You just have to hang on for the journey. 

I loved how sweet Nate was with Cherry.  I loved watching hi fall for her even when he didn't think that was what he needed.  The secondary characters are all great. Cherry's neighbor Jessie was a bit quirky. I felt like she had a story, we just never got there with her. I was kept guessing about how this story would end right up until the end. 

My only issue was in the writing in dual POV. I haven't seen it this way before, so maybe it is a thing. I was confused when there was 2-3 chapters from Cherry's POV and then the next chapter being Nate but the story went bake to action that happened 3 chapters ago but now from Nate's POV. Even more odd is that the second half of the book doesn't read that way. It just goes to alternating POV.  I think this is what caused the stumble for me in the beginning. 

Overall, really interesting story.  The author drops some easter eggs for characters from other books she has written. I am interested enough in the secondary characters to want more from her in this small town Ohio world. 

*Complimentary copy provided for an honest review. 


Shay Savage is an independent author from Cincinnati, Ohio, where she lives with her family and a variety of household pets. She is an accomplished public speaker and holds the rank of Distinguished Toastmaster from Toastmasters International. Her hobbies include off-roading in her big, yellow Jeep, science fiction in all forms, and soccer. Savage holds a degree in psychology, and she brings a lot of that knowledge into the characters within her stories.

From the author: “It’s my job to make you FEEL. That doesn’t always mean you’ll feel good, but I want my readers to be connected enough to my characters to care.”

Savage’s books many books span a wide variety of topics and sub-genres with deeply flawed characters. From cavemen to addicts to hitmen, you’ll find yourself falling for these seemingly irredeemable characters!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment