December 17, 2015

Top 17 Reads 2015


I have been thinking about a Top 10 list for a couple of weeks now.  I narrowed down my picks to books published in 2015 that I reviewed and gave 5 or more hearts to.  I also considered those books that I have recommended to friends as well as those books that have left me with all the feels and book hangovers.  That still left me with more than 10 books!  I decided, given the number of books I have read--335-- in the year, picking just 10 favorites doesn't seem quite fair.  So, in no particular order, here are my top 17 reads of 2015. 



Calm and Storm by Susan Fanetti
I have devoured everything this woman has written.  Each book unique and unexpected.  This book was the finale to the Night Horde SoCal series.  It completely wrecked me but was a wonderful goodbye.  

Review: Goodreads






The Lost by Cole McCade
I am a self professed weinee when it comes to "dark" material.  Anything too taboo or too scary just gives me the shakes.  The Lost is described by the author as "dark, haunting, erotica."  It is all of those things but sooooo much more.  It left me thinking for days afterward.  From my review:  I devoured the book. I lost track of time. I shed some tears. It wrung me out. I completely fell in love. I highlighted so many quotes.  It's the first in the Crow City series by this author and I will most definitely read more! 

Review:  Goodreads  




Threefold by Scott Hildreth
This is another author that I readily one-click.  He had so many books published in 2015, 9 at last count, it was hard to pick a favorite.  Threefold is one of those books that makes you realize how blessed your life is.  It makes you think about what love is and that it is ok to accept love as it comes to you even if it may seem unconventional to others.  This book will give you all kinds of feels!  

Review: Goodreads





Wicked Ride by Rebecca Zanetti
Being a big fan of Zanetti's Dark Protector series, I was sure that this new spin off would not live up to my expectations.  What happened was hot biker witches, demons with a grudge, a bossy vampire king and an undercover enhanced female cop.  The vampires may rule the Realm but the witches are out for blood.  Lots of action in this one.  Great paranormal read!  Looking forward to the rest of the series.  

Review: Goodreads







Morrison by MJ Fields and Chelsea Cameron
What this has going for it right off the bat for me---single parent trying to make ends meet and make her child safe, player who is tired of playing the game but doesn’t yet realize it, intrigue.  What the story brings that puts the cherry on top---- All the feels: love of family, sexy alpha male who respects women, humor, brotherhood, strong independent women.  This is the second brother in the series but he passed up the first book and his older brother by miles!  Loved it! 

Review: Goodreads




Priest by Sierra Simone
So, I know I said taboo gets me squeemie but here is the second book on my top reads list with a taboo moniker.  I may need to switch my stand on this aversion of mine.  Simone takes us to the core of our religious beliefs.  The book description: My name is Tyler Anselm Bell. I'm twenty-nine years old. Six months ago, I broke my vow of celibacy on the altar of my own church, and God help me, I would do it again.  I am a priest and this is my confession.  That about sums it up.  Hang on and bring ice water!  This one will take you on a ride! 

Review: Goodreads



Overtime by Toni Aleo
This book has ALL. THE. FEELS!  Seriously! It has some potential triggers in the story line but oh my, the good, the bad, the ugly cry...all of it wrapped up in this one.  Really helps that it has a super hot cover and Jordie is just prime for a HEA.  Well deserved for him.  Great book as part of the Assassin's Series.  

Review: Goodreads







Stepping out of the box a bit for the next few.  These are series published in 2015 that I think should be read in their entirety. 

Hard Ink Series by Laura Kaye
A novella and the final book, HARD TO LET GO were released in 2015.  The series as a whole is a top pick.  The books individually have been nominated for and awarded top praises including RT Reviewer's Choice Award.  The series follows former military Special Forces men as they try and sort through the mystery of the death of their commander and their untimely discharge from the Army.  There is mystery, danger and romance along with some steamy moments along the way.  Well worth the read of the whole series.




King Series by TM Frazier
Books 1-3: KING, TYRANT, LAWLESS
These are hangover worthy books.  I mean DAYS trying to shake the story out of my head! The author has some serious mind fuck skills! If you like some darkness to your romance, you will like these.  There is a fair bit of violence and endless twists and turns you don't see coming.  Some great humor and secondary characters.  Oh, and the lead heroes are super hot bad boys!  There is one more book coming in early 2016.  If you are not a patient reader, I recommend waiting and reading the whole series as one.  

Reviews: King    Tyrant   Lawless





 Jack and Jill Series by Jewel E. Ann
END OF DAY, MIDDLE OF KNIGHT
This was a new to me author in 2015.  I also really liked her other release this year, Only Trick.  I am amazed with the writing style and the creative voices that are pushing this story out of the author's head and on to the paper.  After two books, I still am not sure I know exactly what is going on.  Prepare yourself for a journey of mystery, heartbreak, violence, humor and love. Something bizarre is happening in the world of the Day siblings. Enough so that they change their names to Jack and Jillian Knight. Both are quirky. Both are extremely well trained fighters. And both have a wicked sense of humor!  The third and final book is coming in February.  I expect it to be on my top list for 2016. 

Review: End of Day    Middle of Knight




Caged Series by Shay Savage
TAKEDOWN TEAGUE, TRAPPED, RELEASED
The creativity of this author is beyond amazing.  I knew when I picked up this book that I would not even be able to begin to guess how the story would go.  It took three books to get everything said and to the HEA.  But, oh m goodness!  What a ride we take to get there.  The whole series is in Liam's POV.  Lots of humor.  Some very painful baggage hanging on both Liam and Tria but so a unique story.  Grab all 3 books at once so you can read this straight through. 

Review: Takedown Teague   Trapped    Released



More single title releases that I loved: 




An Alpha's Choice by Carrie Ann Ryan
I have been following this author's wolf shifters for awhile now.  This book is the second in a spin off of her Redwood Pack series.  This book spoke to me not only because of the budding romance but because of the struggle both lead characters had to endure in their lives to get to the point they were at.  Lots of feels around love and strength of family.  You may need kleenix to get through this one. 

Review: Goodreads




Grayson's Vow by Mia Sheridan
This is part of Mia's Sign of Love series.  All of the books are stand alone.  Kira and Grayson seem an unlikely pair yet they come together in hopes of sharing a burden and improving their situation.  They don't expect to fall for each other.  The story is about balance. It’s about pairing opposites in order to have a fulfilling life. It makes you think about what is fair and just in society, in families and in relationships. Nice humor written throughout the story.  Very enjoyable read! 

Review: Goodreads


Him by Sarina Bowen and Elle Kennedy
2015 brought with it a new genre of reading for me.  Him was not my first m/m romance for the year but the other books I read had been out for quite awhile.  This one makes my top read list.  The combination of these two authors and an almost perfect love story, make this a great read any time.  The disclaimer on the book says it all: Warning: contains sexual situations, skinny dipping, shenanigans in an SUV and proof that coming out to your family on social media is a dicey proposition.  Super steamy and full of love.  Happy to re-read this one. 

Review: Goodreads


Sacrifice by Adriana Locke
Another new to me author this year.  I totally blame Temi and Sheila for sucking me in.  Just read it they said.  Hee..Hee...  Come on, you'll like it they said.  I finished as was sure to tell them they both suck!  What on earth?  So many feels in this story.  There may have been sobbing more than once.  Then the ending just about guts you.  Just one of those books you have to read to experience.  Definitely a fan of this author now.  And still friends with my blogging girls. :) Grab your hankie and read this one straight through. 

Review: Goodreads


Sustained by Emma Chase
I picked up this book randomly for a review copy.  I hadn't read the other books in the series, which usually puts me off.  I like this author's writing style so much.  The right mix of humor and tension and loving.  This whole book was such a delight to read.  I realize I have a soft spot for single parent books.  Regardless, this one could be made into a movie and I would see it.  LOVED! 

Review: Goodreads




Bleeding Love by Harper Sloan
I am a big epilogue whore so this whole series by Harper Sloan is one big happy moment for me.  The Hope Town series follows the children born during her Corps Security series.  This is book 2 but can be a stand alone.  You don't want to read this in isolation, though.  Start with the Corps series and move on to this one.  Happy dancing over Liam and Megan and sweet Molly.  I guarantee Liam will become one of your top 5 BBF! 

Review: Goodreads




No comments:

Post a Comment